Download user manual
Download quick start guide
Can Smart Water monitor more than one tank?
• Yes. Up to TWELVE separate tanks can be monitored from one LCD Keypad, WiFi Gateway or app. Each tank will need a separate Tank Sender installed, unless your tanks are interconnected. For example, if two tanks are interconnected and the level rises and falls in parallel, then only one Tank Sender is required.
What is the maximum wireless range of the Smart Water system?
• 5-10km "line of sight" is the standard range however ranges of 15km to 20km have been successfully tested in good line of sight installations. Additionally, our range of higher power antenna can also improve range and assist if the installation is hampered by obstacles. Our high power Wireless Active Repeater can further enhance and extend the range of your system.
Can Smart Water control my water pump?
• Yes. The product range includes a fully automatic "plug and play" Wireless Pump Controller. Your system comes with the pump control software already installed. Simply purchase the Wireless Pump Controller, connect it into your system and you will have full control of your water pump via the LCD Kepad or the mobile app. Up to TWELVE Pump Controllers can be added to a single Smart Water system.
What is the maximum tank depth the system will work with?
• 5.0M (16ft) is the maximum depth the system will measure. However, custom depth systems are available on request. Please contact Smart Water for more information.
Is the app free?
• The basic app is free, however a premium version is offered for NZD29.99/year (USD15.49/year). The app is available on both the Apple app store and Google Play store.
What is the difference between the free app, and the premium app?
• In the free app you can only have one system displayed. In that system, you can have one pump and one tank connected. Premium users can have unlimited systems and devices.
• There are no push notifications on the free version of the app.
• Users cannot set a pump schedule (using date and time) in the free app. However, you can set automatic start/stop parameters as per the LCD Keypad functionality.
• You cannot share your system with anyone in the free version of the app. You also cannot see shared systems on the free version of the app either. The Premium version removes both of these restrictions.
Do you charge New Zealand GST on international orders?
• No. The prices quoted on the website include the 15% New Zealand Goods and Services Tax (GST). The GST is removed at the checkout stage for our international customers. Please note that local import duties and/or taxes may be payable when the goods cross the border into your own country.
Can I install the Smart Water system myself?
• Absolutely! The Smart Water system has been designed as a true DIY product. It is very easy to install and no technical skills are required. We do however recommend that the Wall Mount WiFi LCD Keypad should be installed by a qualified electrician as this is connected directly to mains power.
What is the "Blink Up" process?
• The blink up process is how you get the Smart Water system online. It is an ingenious way of transferring your WiFi network details into the LCD Keypad or WiFi Gateway. Blinking up is very intuitive and there are simple steps to follow on the app to guide you through the process.
I have changed my WiFi network, how do I get the keypad back online?
If you have changed the network name (SSID), network password, or changed your wireless router, it is simple to get your keypad back online. You do not need to set the whole system up again, and can leave your tank senders and pump controllers in place. Simply connect your phone to your new WiFi network and then run through the same "Blink-Up" process as you did during the initial set-up. Alternatively, you can pass the new WiFi credentials to your keypad using Bluetooth. For both options, just go into the "Set up a new system" menu in the app, and follow the on-screen instruction. Easy!
Will the system work on a 5GHz WiFi network?
No. Most IoT devices around the world only operate on the 2.4GHz WiFi frequency band. Smart Water is no different, and will need to be connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi network in your home. Most WiFi routers that operate at 5GHz can also operate at 2.4GHz, just consult the user guide of your particular system.
Is the legacy SW800 system compatible with the new generation SW900 system?
• Unfortunately it is not. There were limitations in the engineering of the SW800 that meant we needed to develop a fresh new advanced communications protocol and software suite. The SW900 is vastly superior to the SW800, however it did mean that the two systems were deemed incompatible.
Will my system run software updates automatically?
• If your WiFi LCD is connected to the internet, then software updates will be automatically installed. Ensure that power is not interrupted during the update process. Updates to the app will also be pushed out from time to time and will be installed automatically.
Will the battery in the solar powered Tank Sender run flat in poor weather conditions?
• No. The battery will recharge at a slower rate in cloudy conditions, but it should not run flat. Exposure to direct sunlight is of course recommended for maximum charging performance.
Does the system work with underground tanks?
• Yes. The Smart Water system will work with all types of tanks both freestanding and underground. The solar powered Tank Sender will need to be connected to the power pack to provide charging if there is zero access to sunlight (for the solar panel).
How long does Smart Water take to learn my water usage?
• Smart Water will start calculating and learning your water usage and trends from the moment it is installed. The longer the system is running the more intuitive, accurate and “smart” the system will become. After a couple of weeks system performance will be very good and provide accurate indications of days to empty and average usage. This will also provide for system generated warnings such as “Low Days Remaining” and “Abnormal Usage”.
When will Smart Water detect a water leak in my system?
• Smart Water will provide you an alert for abnormal usage (potential leaks) after approximately 3-4 hours. This alert will also be generated on the iOS and Android app (notification settings can be controlled via the app).
Do I need to change the battery in the Tank Sender?
• No, the tank unit is completely sealed. There is a high-power Lithium-ion battery powering the unit and it is continuously recharged by the integrated solar panel. The product is designed to solar charge even in very low light conditions and has extremely efficient energy usage, so even a small amount of sunlight will normally provide sufficient charging. The tank unit will operate for up to 3-6 months without any direct sunlight. However, if your tank has no access to sunlight (ie under a building), then you can simply recharge the unit from time to time using the provided power pack, or alternatively leave it permanently plugged in. For peace of mind, our software will alert the user via the LCD Keypad (also via the app) if battery levels are detected to be low in any Tank Sender's connected to the system.
Will the Wall Mount LCD Keypad fit into a standard electrical flush box?
• The Wall Mount WiFi LCD Keypad is designed to mount easily into any standard Clipsal or PDL style electrical flush box. Mounting accessories are provided with the LCD Keypad installation kit. Alternatively, a 50mm hole can be made in the wall and the LCD Keypad can be mounted directly onto the wall surface.
Will reception be reduced if obstructions are between the Tank Sender and the LCD Keypad?
• Any wireless system will have range/reception reduced by obstacles. This is just like the poor reception of radio stations experienced in valleys and mountainous areas. Smart Water recommends minimising obstructions in the direct path of the wireless signal. If required, wireless performance can be enhanced by use of the Smart Water range of high-power antenna and/or the Wireless Active Repeater.
What if I change my WiFi password, or change my WiFi router?
This is not a problem at all. Just connect your WiFi LCD Keypad to your new router, or enter your new WiFi credentials through the Bluetooth or Blink-Up pairing process. You do not need to reconnect any of your tank senders or pump controllers, just go to "Set up a new system" on the app and follow the on-screen instructions.
What happens if there is a power cut or the power to the LCD Keypad or WiFi Gateway is interrupted?
• Nothing! Rest easy! Once power has been restored the LCD Keypad or WiFi Gateway will automatically regain communications with your Tank Senders and Pump Controllers. Current and historical data will be restored to the screen and normal operations will resume. If the LCD Keypad was updating its software at the time of losing power, the screen will appear blank, just leave it for up to 10 minutes and it will resume the update, and then restart.
Does the tank unit need to be installed horizontally on the tank?
• The position of the Tank Sender on the tank is not critical. The sensor should be lowered carefully into the tank, along with any excess cable. For optimum solar charging performance, position the tank sender in direct sunlight and ideally facing North in Southern Hemisphere, and South in the Northern Hemisphere. Please refer to our User Guide for further detailed installation instructions.